New Trig Found
New Trig Found
On a walk in the Southern Uplands I found a trig pillar that isn't logged on the website, it may not be OS even though it looks exactly the same in dimensions, from what I can remember it had a spider on top but probably no bracket on side, the strangest thing about the pillar is its right on the hillside, there are no reservoirs or dams anywhere near it. The closest trig on the website to it would probably be Pykestone Hill. I didn't know whether to add it or not, any advice?
Re: New Trig Found
Hi Dan,
I don't know the district at all but note Rob's (peregrinus) comments for
Syart Law / Megget Reservoir http://trigpointing.uk/trig/14724
which gives the location of some non-standard trigs in the same general area.
Hope that helps
Ted
Do you have a grid reference?On a walk in the Southern Uplands I found a trig pillar that isn't logged on the website
I don't know the district at all but note Rob's (peregrinus) comments for
Syart Law / Megget Reservoir http://trigpointing.uk/trig/14724
which gives the location of some non-standard trigs in the same general area.
Hope that helps
Ted
Re: New Trig Found
I haven't got a GPS yet so cannot give you an exact location but the trig must be around NT 19154 30837 just up from the woodland right on the lower hillside we have a photo of the pillar as well. It does look exactly like a normal trig pillar.
- agentmancuso
- Posts: 338
- Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:59 pm
- Location: EK
- Contact:
Re: New Trig Found
I know that area pretty well, but I've never noticed that pillar - well found. Although there are no reservoirs in the immediate vicinity, there are definitely undergound waterworks in the Manor Valley. At some point along the road you can see a gated tunnel entrance to the hillside on the east side of the glen; I'd be willing to bet that this pillar is related to the construction works when this was built.
Re: New Trig Found
Ok cheers for the info, I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few of these hillside pillars round here.
Re: New Trig Found
If interested I've uploaded a picture of the trig I found onto the Pykestone Hill trig page (TP5545). The photo's too big to post on here.
Re: New Trig Found
Thanks Dan. Direct link: http://trigpointinguk-photos.s3.amazona ... 209349.jpgI've uploaded a picture of the trig I found onto the Pykestone Hill trig page (TP5545)
Maybe its my eyesight but the pillar looks slightly taller/more tapered than an OS trig.
I think the deciding factor as to whether your pillar has OS origins would be the spider;
the metalwork on top of non-OS pillars tends to look very different.
- agentmancuso
- Posts: 338
- Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:59 pm
- Location: EK
- Contact:
Re: New Trig Found
Thanks for that Dan.
The Meggat dam pillars have a circular disc on top, rather than a spider. They also tend to be a bit square and dumpy compared to Hotine elegance:
Meggat Pillar top by agentmancuso, on Flickr
Meggat Pillar & Dam by agentmancuso, on Flickr

The Meggat dam pillars have a circular disc on top, rather than a spider. They also tend to be a bit square and dumpy compared to Hotine elegance:
Meggat Pillar top by agentmancuso, on Flickr
Meggat Pillar & Dam by agentmancuso, on Flickr
Re: New Trig Found
Cheers for the info and pictures guys, I found the trig in spring last year so I cannot really remember what the top had looked like, I thought it may have just looked like the normal spider because I don't remember the top being any different but I could be wrong, I wished we had took more photos now. It would be good to go back and check again but its quite an awkward place to get to and not very local for me considering I live in the Midlands.
- agentmancuso
- Posts: 338
- Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:59 pm
- Location: EK
- Contact:
Re: New Trig Found
I'll have a look at some point soon-ish.