Hi all,
Spent ages on a beautiful sunny day today searching for the above without any luck. There are so many little depressions and stones masquerading as the quarry I got elated then deflated. I tried to match the photos (fenceposts) to what I could see without success.
Apart from revisiting when the jungle of vegetation has died down how do I find these things?
Is the GPS app on my phone useful - accurate enough? Seems to have a high level of accuracy but is the reading reliable? Is jabbing a garden fork in useful?
Are there sketches of how to find these?
On Sundays I am restricted to going out from Falkirk and being back within an hour so am trying to be as comprehensive as possible - think I have bagged all the pillars so it's all the 'rest' now.
Any advice appreciated
Cootking
TP0070 :( Westquarter block near Falkirk
Re: TP0070 :( Westquarter block near Falkirk
Hi,
Theres an OS sketch here:
https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/gps/St ... NS8876.gif
The sketch distance 'A' of 1.27m from a fence post looks promising and is consistent with
the measurement taken by Rob in 2014.
You might try a long-bladed screwdriver rather than a fork. Not so good for the knees but
if you check at intervals of, say, 6 ins then its easier to distinguish between buried stones
and concrete.
Good luck!
Ted
Theres an OS sketch here:
https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/gps/St ... NS8876.gif
The sketch distance 'A' of 1.27m from a fence post looks promising and is consistent with
the measurement taken by Rob in 2014.
You might try a long-bladed screwdriver rather than a fork. Not so good for the knees but
if you check at intervals of, say, 6 ins then its easier to distinguish between buried stones
and concrete.
Good luck!
Ted
- agentmancuso
- Posts: 338
- Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:59 pm
- Location: EK
- Contact:
-
alansmeaton
- Posts: 34
- Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:05 pm
Re: TP0070 :( Westquarter block near Falkirk
Thanks,
Did download some of the pictures onto my laptop but when I fired it up the images were tiny - will try again but check before I set out. I did try some fence point matching but the photos used were looking down the road and the foreshortening didn't help. I'll try with 'agents' image. Maybe try the Linlithgow FBM this weekend however.
Cootking
Did download some of the pictures onto my laptop but when I fired it up the images were tiny - will try again but check before I set out. I did try some fence point matching but the photos used were looking down the road and the foreshortening didn't help. I'll try with 'agents' image. Maybe try the Linlithgow FBM this weekend however.
Cootking
-
alansmeaton
- Posts: 34
- Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:05 pm
Re: TP0070 :( Westquarter block near Falkirk
Hi, Used photos and advice and there it was. Wife expresses amazement at my excitement- sometimes I wonder too.....Thanks for advice.