The question is - has Wainwright wrongly assigned a ring to Yarlside when there exists a concrete ring at Seat Robert, as per http://trigpointing.uk/trig/7368
I attach the relevant pages from the book, and the question is driven by a Wainwright enthusiast who says he is hardly ever wrong.
Does anyone have a definitive answer? Or do we have any Lake District walkers who could visit the location to check? (I am 300 miles away so not likely to check myself.)
Regards, sphinx2
Concrete ring trig points and a Wainwright error?
Concrete ring trig points and a Wainwright error?
- Attachments
-
- Wasdale2, cropped.jpg (130.06 KiB) Viewed 41381 times
-
- Wasdale1, cropped.jpg (115.99 KiB) Viewed 41381 times
-
Painterman61
- Posts: 25
- Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:12 pm
Re: Concrete ring trig points and a Wainwright error?
Hello there sphinx2 I'm afraid your friend is wrong as there are two concrete rings one at each location .There are logs on T:UK for both of these I know because I have done them both plus by accident all the concrete rings that have been found in UK think I was the first to do so hope this helps.
David.
David.
Re: Concrete ring trig points and a Wainwright error?
Dear Painterman61,
Many thanks for the prompt and informative reply. I will reassure my Wainwright enthusiast and correct my other 'expert'
Best wishes, sphinx2
Many thanks for the prompt and informative reply. I will reassure my Wainwright enthusiast and correct my other 'expert'
Best wishes, sphinx2
Re: Concrete ring trig points and a Wainwright error?
Dear painterman61,
Back again - my phone number is 01344 772303.
Give me a call sometime to exchange email addresses, and if you are inclined, to chat more about trig points.
Regards, Doug
Back again - my phone number is 01344 772303.
Give me a call sometime to exchange email addresses, and if you are inclined, to chat more about trig points.
Regards, Doug
-
Painterman61
- Posts: 25
- Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:12 pm
Re: Concrete ring trig points and a Wainwright error?
Sure Doug will be in touch just glad i could help
david
david
Re: Concrete ring trig points and a Wainwright error?
A list of Concrete Rings known to TrigpointingUK can be found here: http://trigpointing.uk/trigs/view-trigs.php?q=1848817
I suspect that there are more to be found
I suspect that there are more to be found
Re: Concrete ring trig points and a Wainwright error?
Dear Ted,
Thanks for the link although I had looked at this a week or so ago, and because Yarlside was not listed, assumed that the great Wainwright was in error. Perhaps the list needs updating, ...by the webmaster...?
OS would surely, in days of yore, have had a list of the rings. If so, the list may be hard to track down. For example, when I wanted to find out the installation date of a local TP, OS told me that such records had been shipped to the National Archives at Kew. Best wishes, Sphinx2
Thanks for the link although I had looked at this a week or so ago, and because Yarlside was not listed, assumed that the great Wainwright was in error. Perhaps the list needs updating, ...by the webmaster...?
OS would surely, in days of yore, have had a list of the rings. If so, the list may be hard to track down. For example, when I wanted to find out the installation date of a local TP, OS told me that such records had been shipped to the National Archives at Kew. Best wishes, Sphinx2
Re: Concrete ring trig points and a Wainwright error?
Hi,
I think the OS do sometimes refer them as detector rings but the station type is listed as a
block (or buried block).
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.u ... y&_ed=yyyy
but The National Archive fee for providing a scanned copy is extortionate. There are alternatives, for example,
https://www.arcre.com/copyservice
REgards
Ted
I suspect not. 'Concrete Ring' is a baggers term and AFAIK doesn't appear in the OS records.OS would surely, in days of yore, have had a list of the rings.
I think the OS do sometimes refer them as detector rings but the station type is listed as a
block (or buried block).
and unfortunately, few if any station records at Kew have been digitised. A few details are available, for exampleFor example, when I wanted to find out the installation date of a local TP, OS told me that such records had been shipped to the National Archives at Kew.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.u ... y&_ed=yyyy
but The National Archive fee for providing a scanned copy is extortionate. There are alternatives, for example,
https://www.arcre.com/copyservice
REgards
Ted
Re: Concrete ring trig points and a Wainwright error?
Dear Ted,
I have used Kew in the past on another topic, but I got the impression from my contact at OS that such records about TPs, etc, could be loose papers in boxes, rather than everything in tidy files! I suspect a visit would be essential. Doug
I have used Kew in the past on another topic, but I got the impression from my contact at OS that such records about TPs, etc, could be loose papers in boxes, rather than everything in tidy files! I suspect a visit would be essential. Doug
-
Painterman61
- Posts: 25
- Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:12 pm
Re: Concrete ring trig points and a Wainwright error?
Wow Ted what a post how do you know all this information would be great to find out about more of these stations,the curry stools are interesting as well to yet to visit a lot of these.I noticed most of these rings seem to be in the Cumbria area the best one i visited many times is on Blencathra where the station is perched on the edge of Halls fell ridge at the summit.Perhaps we should all pool together funds to get a print out from the National Archives.
Kind regards
David Phillips.
Kind regards
David Phillips.