Hi,
I'm new on the site & got a bit of a problem with something.
Found an OSBM bolt in Macclesfield the other day. It's not on the database & when I put the grid ref in to "Log a visit", it comes up with a nearby destroyed surface block at Moss Cottages.
Can bolts be logged on the site & if so, how do I log a new one ? (It's on the OS benchmark finder.)
Cheers,
Nigel Thackrah. ngthack
New OSBM bolt
Re: New OSBM bolt
This one I assume: http://www.bench-marks.org.uk/bm92435
But the mark appears to be only a bench mark, not a trig station, so
I don't think it belongs on http://trigpointing.uk/
Regards
Ted
But the mark appears to be only a bench mark, not a trig station, so
I don't think it belongs on http://trigpointing.uk/
Regards
Ted
Re: New OSBM bolt
That's the baby, Ted.
You've answered my question - can't put bolts on TUK.
Thanks.
Nigel
You've answered my question - can't put bolts on TUK.
Thanks.
Nigel
Re: New OSBM bolt
Sort of.can't put bolts on TUK.
Some bolts are trig marks (reference to surface position), for example
Moss Cottage http://trigpointing.uk/trig/13089
Other bolts are benchmarks (reference to height) such as the one
you've recently logged at Macclesfield, London Road Canal Bridge,
http://www.bench-marks.org.uk/bm92435
But just, to confuse things, some bolts can be both
An instance of this is Elvetmoor Verge http://trigpointing.uk/trig/8371
which is the same thing as
Durham Elvet Moor http://www.bench-marks.org.uk/bm56617
which is described as 'CUT MARK: ELVETMOOR TRIG BLOCK (ODN 99.8738m, AGL 0.0m).'
Regards
Ted
- agentmancuso
- Posts: 338
- Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:59 pm
- Location: EK
- Contact:
Re: New OSBM bolt
You can put anything on T:UK if it is a triangulation station from the Ordnance Survey Retriangulation of Great Britain 1935-62.
But only if.
But only if.
Re: New OSBM bolt
Thanks gentlemen, that's even clearer.
If it's for height measurement only, it's a benchmark. Height & triangulation it's a trig.
Have all the trig bolts been found, that is are they on TUK ?
Nigel
If it's for height measurement only, it's a benchmark. Height & triangulation it's a trig.
Have all the trig bolts been found, that is are they on TUK ?
Nigel
- agentmancuso
- Posts: 338
- Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:59 pm
- Location: EK
- Contact:
Re: New OSBM bolt
Yes, except that only a minority of triangulation stations are levelled for height i.e those with flushbrackets.ngthack wrote:If it's for height measurement only, it's a benchmark. Height & triangulation it's a trig.
A very good question. The entire OSGB36 database was uploaded a few years ago, so in theory everything should be on the site; but many of the stations haven't been, and probably never will be, found.Have all the trig bolts been found, that is are they on TUK ?
I'm exaggerating slightly; there are a number of other valid objects listed, primarily those that succeeded OSGB36 such as GPS Stations, Passive Stations (incorporating much older FBMs) & Active Stations. But there are also some nasty 'user-added' weeds that I can't root outYou can put anything on T:UK if it is a triangulation station from the Ordnance Survey Retriangulation of Great Britain 1935-62.
Re: New OSBM bolt
Thanks again for all that.
I can see that I'm going to have to do a lot more research into this trig., benchmark business. I've got a lot to learn.
Up until October last year it was just a matter of climbing hills & if there was a trig, then touching it. Then a certain RHW (aka Peregrinus I think) introduced me to benchmarks & life got a lot more complicated.
Started off by exporting hills climbed on hill-bagging, to Harold Street. That flags up summit trigs. Now I'm in the process of trawling through all my OS Landrangers, which have my hills climbed highlighted & logging them on TUK. A mammoth task, but passes the grim midwinter days & stirs up some happy hill bagging memories.
Cheers,
Nigel
I can see that I'm going to have to do a lot more research into this trig., benchmark business. I've got a lot to learn.
Up until October last year it was just a matter of climbing hills & if there was a trig, then touching it. Then a certain RHW (aka Peregrinus I think) introduced me to benchmarks & life got a lot more complicated.
Started off by exporting hills climbed on hill-bagging, to Harold Street. That flags up summit trigs. Now I'm in the process of trawling through all my OS Landrangers, which have my hills climbed highlighted & logging them on TUK. A mammoth task, but passes the grim midwinter days & stirs up some happy hill bagging memories.
Cheers,
Nigel
Re: New OSBM bolt
Sounds like you are well on the way to becoming a trigaholicUp until October last year it was just a matter of climbing hills & if there was a trig, then touching it.
trips to obscure pillars lurking in field corners. Then there are trigs in reservoirs and military sites that
require stealth visits. After that you'll soon find that you just have to visit Concrete Rings (a dozen or so
to be found on hill tops), Curry Stools, Active Stations, Passive Stations, Intersected Stations, Centres, rivets...
Makes no difference if the trig is miles from anywhere. Doesn't matter if its been destroyed for decades - you
still have to go.
The list is endless; there is no hope
Ted
Re: New OSBM bolt
Very true Ted,
Can't beat the challenge of explaining on a Monday morning why you spent hours going to an obscure location because there was a chimney there 50 years ago or there was a small lump of concrete under a tussock . Everyone else did stuff like shopping or going to the cinema etc.
Can't beat the challenge of explaining on a Monday morning why you spent hours going to an obscure location because there was a chimney there 50 years ago or there was a small lump of concrete under a tussock . Everyone else did stuff like shopping or going to the cinema etc.