I was looking on line at an old OS map of a piece of land that I own and there is a trig point marked on it. How can I go about finding information about this TP it does not appear to be in the database, but I could be wrong! It would be near post code RH12 4RL. Any help appreciated.
ps I have not seen any thing that looks like a TP but I guess it is/was probably a buried block.
Un recorded trig point?
- agentmancuso
- Posts: 338
- Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:59 pm
- Location: EK
- Contact:
Re: Un recorded trig point?
How old is the map? If you can attach a scan it'll help, but there's a fair chance it's an 'Old Trig' i.e. a 19th century station for which there are no database entries.
Re: Un recorded trig point?
File attached. It's the best I can do at the moment! it says TQ23, Surveyed: 1938 - 1946, Published: 1948
- Attachments
-
- Map of trig point
- Trig.jpg (130.09 KiB) Viewed 8577 times
- agentmancuso
- Posts: 338
- Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:59 pm
- Location: EK
- Contact:
Re: Un recorded trig point?
Hmm. The closest listing I can find isIfieldwood, at the centre-right of the scan. If you're referring to the mark near the centre (i.e. due East of Langhurst) then I'm stumped. The trig symbol appears on mapping published in 1937, 1920 and 1914 but is not present in 1899. So the earliest inclusion is on the 1914 6" Sussex III.NW OS map, way too early for the Retriangulation which starts in 1936. But if it's a left-over 'Old Trig' from the 1st triangulation, why is it not there in 1899? A mystery.
If it was my land, I'd take a spade to it.
If it was my land, I'd take a spade to it.
-
clochandighter
- Posts: 55
- Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:02 pm
Re: Un recorded trig point?
Interesting enquiry.
Which marker (grid ref) is it? I can see five on that map extract.
The only trig within the area of that map I can find on the database is TQ53/T164, Ifieldwood.
Buried Block computed in 1954, so possibly over an old marker.
Full reference = 523320.438 138369.766 or TQ 23320 38369 or TQ233383.
Shown of the extract with a height of 321 Ft.
I think the trig symbols shown on this map are from the old Principal Triangulation. I do not know of any database of the old system - unless somebody wants to start one.
Which marker (grid ref) is it? I can see five on that map extract.
The only trig within the area of that map I can find on the database is TQ53/T164, Ifieldwood.
Buried Block computed in 1954, so possibly over an old marker.
Full reference = 523320.438 138369.766 or TQ 23320 38369 or TQ233383.
Shown of the extract with a height of 321 Ft.
I think the trig symbols shown on this map are from the old Principal Triangulation. I do not know of any database of the old system - unless somebody wants to start one.
Re: Un recorded trig point?
Thanks for the help guys, yes the one just east of the word Langhurst. Do you know if there is likely to be any metal in it? I know a detectorist!
- agentmancuso
- Posts: 338
- Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:59 pm
- Location: EK
- Contact:
Re: Un recorded trig point?
Probably not, unfortunately.rusper wrote: Do you know if there is likely to be any metal in it? I know a detectorist!