Hi all,
Logging proceeding slowly but surely.
I was wondering which trigs are most in danger of disappearing in the near future. As I might be around a few bits of the UK, although mainly obscure bits of Scotland, I'd give priority to any that might go. (Just where do old trigs go?)
Cootking
Next to go.
Re: Next to go.
Hard to say. Trigs in various locations are at risk, some possibilities:I was wondering which trigs are most in danger of disappearing in
the near future.
- Subject to natural erosion. I expect that Skirlington will eventually
fall into the sea http://trigpointing.uk/trig/7130
- Located on derelict land that could be redeveloped.
Bells Tip http://trigpointing.uk/trig/1250 has gone
and nearby Holme House Farm http://trigpointing.uk/trig/3978
may follow.
- At risk from road-widening.
Scott Hall Road in Leeds http://trigpointing.uk/trig/5850
could go if the city ever develops a rapid public transport system
(which probably means that this trig is safe
- Destroyed by manic irrational GOMLs
(tempting fate to offer suggestions)
- Vandalised by oiks with a boot size greater than their IQ
http://trigpointing.uk/trig/4038 Hough Top
For the most part, I guess demolished on site then used as hardcore/Just where do old trigs go?
landfill. In the case of Bells Tip (above) I could find no concrete
fragments so it would be nice to think it was relocated intact.
In theory, the metalwork from a destroyed trig should be returned
to the OS. In practice I doubt that happens very often.
But just occasionally, a trig is rescued by a sympathetic surveyor, e.g
http://trigpointing.uk/trig/5259 Overley Hill
http://trigpointing.uk/trig/4358 Langton Wold
Last edited by ted on Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
Aqueously90
- Posts: 44
- Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:39 pm
- Location: Black Isle / Glasgow
Re: Next to go.
I drove past Lawheads Farm (http://trigpointing.uk/trig/4372) the other day, and it seems precariously perched on the edge of a quarry at the moment. Can't see it being there much longer, but hopefully it is moved intact rather than obliterated.