Page 1 of 1

Next to go.

Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:40 pm
by alansmeaton
Hi all,
Logging proceeding slowly but surely.

I was wondering which trigs are most in danger of disappearing in the near future. As I might be around a few bits of the UK, although mainly obscure bits of Scotland, I'd give priority to any that might go. (Just where do old trigs go?)
Cootking

Re: Next to go.

Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:15 am
by ted
I was wondering which trigs are most in danger of disappearing in
the near future.
Hard to say. Trigs in various locations are at risk, some possibilities:

- Subject to natural erosion. I expect that Skirlington will eventually
fall into the sea http://trigpointing.uk/trig/7130

- Located on derelict land that could be redeveloped.
Bells Tip http://trigpointing.uk/trig/1250 has gone
and nearby Holme House Farm http://trigpointing.uk/trig/3978
may follow.

- At risk from road-widening.
Scott Hall Road in Leeds http://trigpointing.uk/trig/5850
could go if the city ever develops a rapid public transport system
(which probably means that this trig is safe :)

- Destroyed by manic irrational GOMLs
(tempting fate to offer suggestions)

- Vandalised by oiks with a boot size greater than their IQ
http://trigpointing.uk/trig/4038 Hough Top
Just where do old trigs go?
For the most part, I guess demolished on site then used as hardcore/
landfill. In the case of Bells Tip (above) I could find no concrete
fragments so it would be nice to think it was relocated intact.

In theory, the metalwork from a destroyed trig should be returned
to the OS. In practice I doubt that happens very often.

But just occasionally, a trig is rescued by a sympathetic surveyor, e.g
http://trigpointing.uk/trig/5259 Overley Hill
http://trigpointing.uk/trig/4358 Langton Wold

Re: Next to go.

Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:49 am
by Aqueously90
I drove past Lawheads Farm (http://trigpointing.uk/trig/4372) the other day, and it seems precariously perched on the edge of a quarry at the moment. Can't see it being there much longer, but hopefully it is moved intact rather than obliterated.