Passive stations (e.g. http://trigpointing.uk/trig/765) quite often have sketches of their location, which are obviously very helpful.
Is there any information at all on those that aren't passive stations? E.g. looking at http://trigpointing.uk/trig/21551 (a water tower) there's no information to suggest whether the rivet was at ground level, on the roof, on a gatepost... A sketch would be awesome, but is there even any information, anywhere, about these non-passive stations?
Sketches of non-passive stations
Re: Sketches of non-passive stations
Short answer: Yes, sketches and other information about non-passives does exist but its not readily available on-line.A sketch would be awesome, but is there even any information, anywhere, about these non-passive stations?
The OS documents are held at the National Archives in Kew and, so far, very little has been digitised. So its a case of
either visiting Kew or paying for selected documents to be scanned on your behalf.
This is something we've discussed before; the following link provides more details:
http://trigpointing.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36
Regards
Ted
-
stripybadger
- Posts: 16
- Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:45 pm
Re: Sketches of non-passive stations
Thanks Ted, very interesting link.
Shame they haven't been digitised more proactively, I would say they're a key part of our heritage - but as a trig bagger I suppose I'm biased!
Shame they haven't been digitised more proactively, I would say they're a key part of our heritage - but as a trig bagger I suppose I'm biased!
Re: Sketches of non-passive stations
As a rule of thumb since trig points rely on line of sight to other trig points generally they are located up high. In the case of trig point on a water tower the TP would usually be at the top. I am sure though there are exceptions to this rule.