"Clone trig" utility please :-)

General discussion about trigpoints, the TrigpointingUK website etc
Post Reply
peregrinus
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:33 pm

"Clone trig" utility please :-)

Post by peregrinus »

A tool which makes a copy of an existing trig would be useful - in cases where a trig has been originally added as just a Bolt but there's also an Intersected station. Currently it's necessary to either
1) log the bolt as inaccessible and just mention the IS in the log
2) change the Bolt to Intersected Station and log it as Good (this isn't favoured)
3) create a new trig for the IS, which can then be logged as Good

Option 3) seems preferable but is quite time consuming. Also, it's necessary to create using the wrong grid ref. This then has to be corrected with the danger that occasionally this will be forgotten and a trig will be created in the wrong place.

Hence a tool would be nice. The cloned trig would just need its Type amending plus often the grid ref slightly corrected.
User avatar
agentmancuso
Posts: 338
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:59 pm
Location: EK
Contact:

Re: "Clone trig" utility please :-)

Post by agentmancuso »

Previously I think two trigs couldn't share a GR (presumably because the background database has the GR field set as a unique reference?); if that's still the case the duplicated trig would need its GR altered at point of creation.
peregrinus
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:33 pm

Re: "Clone trig" utility please :-)

Post by peregrinus »

agentmancuso wrote:Previously I think two trigs couldn't share a GR (presumably because the background database has the GR field set as a unique reference?); if that's still the case the duplicated trig would need its GR altered at point of creation.
In practice a log is allocated to a trig if found within 500m. I don't know about the technicalities, but once created a trig's GR can be changed to be exactly the same as its parent as in this case http://trigpointing.uk/trig/25682 so it can't be a unique field. NB I do need to change the GR by a couple of metres, after dinner...

NB I've noticed quite a few bolts are been logged as Good although all that's been seen is the Intersected Station. I guess that's option 4 in my list of 3 above :-(
User avatar
agentmancuso
Posts: 338
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:59 pm
Location: EK
Contact:

Re: "Clone trig" utility please :-)

Post by agentmancuso »

peregrinus wrote:I don't know about the technicalities, but once created a trig's GR can be changed to be exactly the same as its parent
I don't think I ever noticed that; or I'd completely forgotten at any rate :lol:
NB I've noticed quite a few bolts are been logged as Good although all that's been seen is the Intersected Station. I guess that's option 4 in my list of 3 above :-(
Hmm, yes, not ideal.
peregrinus
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:33 pm

Re: "Clone trig" utility please :-)

Post by peregrinus »

One thing I notice is that all the trigs newly created before dinner weren't there post dinner :-(

Seems they need to have a different name (e.g. suffixed with FLAGSTAFF) - which I always used to do and have now reverted to. Annoying waste of time though.
Post Reply