ACCESS RIGHTS TO OPEN LAND.
Most of the British countryside is privately owned, but that does not prohibit access onto open land by the general public on foot. The act of 'trespass' is not illegal, it is just used as a dirty word by certain factions in society, particularly some of those who own more that their fair share of our planet's surface.
Open land is exactly that regardless of who owns it, most landowners accept that and are happy for visitors to use it for reasonable recreational use such as walking, photography, enjoying views etc.
In return the public should observe the country code. Basic common sense examples include: Leave gates as you find them, don't drop litter, don't scare livestock, avoid trampling crops, no fires, no excessive noise. Leave only footprints, take only photographs.
However a small minority of the landowning fraternity, the farmers' unions and the like still need to accept that legal access entitlement. Open land is open to all - except where a court order has been served against specifically named persons legally banning them from a stated location or area.
Small domestic gardens and gated yards should be avoided unless they are the only means of access to open land, in such situations, permission to use the through route is best sought.
Other exceptions are: MoD and railway / aviation ground where unauthorised access will result in prosecution for breaches of security or safety.
I should summarise by adding: I am Scottish and live in Scotland. But when I visit England, I bring Scottish Law with me. We are (still) one nation after all. I am more relaxed with the more modern approach we Scots have to outdoor access. If anybody out there squeals at me "You wouldn't like it if we came and trampled all over your garden", like most Scots I live in a flat, despite having worked hard all my days and continuing to do so to make ends meet. So that argument is wasted with me.
Good luck,
G.
