Hello All,
I'm new to the site and have registered because I have a specific question. Is it common for a triangulation pillar to not be shown on an OS map?
I am a hiker from Co. Antrim and while walking on Long Mountain between the villages of Dunloy and Rasharkin, I was surprised to discover a fallen trig pillar at the mountain high point. I have checked all historical OS maps online at the PRONI website and there is no record of a trig pillar at this point. All other trig points are marked on the OS maps as far as I can tell.
The pillar has a flush bracket marked OSNI B M 2056.
Any information or insights appreciated.
Thanks.
Trig Pillar not on OS maps
- agentmancuso
- Posts: 338
- Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:59 pm
- Location: EK
- Contact:
Re: Trig Pillar not on OS maps
This will be Dunloy 2056. We have no details other than 'destroyed', presumably quite a while ago, which is probably why it doesn't appear on maps (and doesn't appear to be listed on the Trigpointing Ireland site either). Do you have a grid reference for its current location?
-
trostanite
- Posts: 3
- Joined: Mon May 03, 2021 3:48 pm
Re: Trig Pillar not on OS maps
Thanks for your reply.
Yes, its at Irish grid reference D 00614 18392. There didn't appear to be a base although about 10m away there was a small heather covered mound which felt as though there was hard rock underneath so it may have once sat atop that.
I took a few pics:
Yes, its at Irish grid reference D 00614 18392. There didn't appear to be a base although about 10m away there was a small heather covered mound which felt as though there was hard rock underneath so it may have once sat atop that.
I took a few pics:
- agentmancuso
- Posts: 338
- Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:59 pm
- Location: EK
- Contact:
Re: Trig Pillar not on OS maps
Great, so basically it hasn't moved far from its original location at D 00620 18392. It's far enough east for GB grid refs to work, so I've created an entry on T:UK at Dunloy. It would be very helpful if you could log it there & add the pictures.
Thanks for the details.
Thanks for the details.
-
trostanite
- Posts: 3
- Joined: Mon May 03, 2021 3:48 pm
Re: Trig Pillar not on OS maps
I've added details and pics as requested. Thanks for the information.
- agentmancuso
- Posts: 338
- Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:59 pm
- Location: EK
- Contact:
Re: Trig Pillar not on OS maps
Much appreciated, it's quite rare these days to have a confirmed addition to the records.