Page 1 of 1

Trig Pillar not on OS maps

Posted: Mon May 03, 2021 4:01 pm
by trostanite
Hello All,

I'm new to the site and have registered because I have a specific question. Is it common for a triangulation pillar to not be shown on an OS map?

I am a hiker from Co. Antrim and while walking on Long Mountain between the villages of Dunloy and Rasharkin, I was surprised to discover a fallen trig pillar at the mountain high point. I have checked all historical OS maps online at the PRONI website and there is no record of a trig pillar at this point. All other trig points are marked on the OS maps as far as I can tell.

The pillar has a flush bracket marked OSNI B M 2056.

Any information or insights appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Trig Pillar not on OS maps

Posted: Mon May 03, 2021 5:05 pm
by agentmancuso
This will be Dunloy 2056. We have no details other than 'destroyed', presumably quite a while ago, which is probably why it doesn't appear on maps (and doesn't appear to be listed on the Trigpointing Ireland site either). Do you have a grid reference for its current location?

Re: Trig Pillar not on OS maps

Posted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:48 pm
by trostanite
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, its at Irish grid reference D 00614 18392. There didn't appear to be a base although about 10m away there was a small heather covered mound which felt as though there was hard rock underneath so it may have once sat atop that.

I took a few pics:
trig5.jpg
trig5.jpg (85.44 KiB) Viewed 5937 times
trig1.jpg
trig1.jpg (176.24 KiB) Viewed 5937 times
trig0.jpg
trig0.jpg (163.16 KiB) Viewed 5937 times

Re: Trig Pillar not on OS maps

Posted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:16 pm
by agentmancuso
Great, so basically it hasn't moved far from its original location at D 00620 18392. It's far enough east for GB grid refs to work, so I've created an entry on T:UK at Dunloy. It would be very helpful if you could log it there & add the pictures.

Thanks for the details.

Re: Trig Pillar not on OS maps

Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:51 am
by trostanite
I've added details and pics as requested. Thanks for the information.

Re: Trig Pillar not on OS maps

Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 11:49 am
by agentmancuso
Much appreciated, it's quite rare these days to have a confirmed addition to the records.