What is the best gps to use ?

General discussion about trigpoints, the TrigpointingUK website etc
Post Reply
jimju139
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu May 16, 2024 4:26 pm

What is the best gps to use ?

Post by jimju139 »

Greetings we are new to the wonderful world of trigbagging and would like some input into what gps system is best to use when out and about in pursuit of the trigs. We are currently bagging pillars in our local Cheshire area and are starting to wander further afield. Any advice and tips will be gratefully welcomed.

Many thanks

Jimmy & Julie
User avatar
Samtrig13
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:56 pm
Location: South East England
Contact:

Re: What is the best gps to use ?

Post by Samtrig13 »

Hello,
I strongly recommend Garmin for most activities. They have lots of types, from ones for walking and running to cycling and paddle boarding. They may not be the cheapest, but are really good quality and support apps like Komoot. A cheap one I found that will probably do well for some simple walking to the trigs. It starts from £249.99 for the solar panel model and £149.99 for the non solar panel model. Here’s the link: https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/p/869859
Good luck!
Samtrig13
jimju139
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu May 16, 2024 4:26 pm

Re: What is the best gps to use ?

Post by jimju139 »

Many thanks for the reply Samtrig13. I've been looking at the garmin etrex 20e. I think it was the colour display that drew me to it. I believe that maps can also be downloaded onto this device from OS aswell. Don't know what your feelings are towards this product but it's available as a refurbished item for under £120 which I think is a reasonable price point for a first gps unit. Any further advice and comments would be gratefully welcomed
User avatar
Samtrig13
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:56 pm
Location: South East England
Contact:

Re: What is the best gps to use ?

Post by Samtrig13 »

Yes. I think this is also a great device. As a matter of fact, it the brand new model for £169.99 is preloaded with TOPO UK & Ireland Light Map. I think it uses OS data, but not the ones on Explorer or Landranger (I might be wrong). Alternatively, there’s the eTrex 20x, which I know has an SD card slot and you can buy separately an OS topo SD card for either Explorer or Landranger (sold separately).
The prices though are extremely expensive (starting at £149.99 for the Landranger map and £349.99 for the Explorer. Both can be bought in either and SD card form or a digital download). If you just want a simple device to go to the trigs, this is a great choice and it probably does have the OS data on it.
Samtrig13
User avatar
Samtrig13
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:56 pm
Location: South East England
Contact:

Re: What is the best gps to use ?

Post by Samtrig13 »

And yes, I don’t blame you for wanting a colour display.
Samtrig13
jimju139
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu May 16, 2024 4:26 pm

Re: What is the best gps to use ?

Post by jimju139 »

Many thanks once again for your advice Samtrig13. Looks like I'm getting close to a decision. We are planning on doing Alphin pike on Sunday. Going to pay the 35 quid for OS premium on my mobile for the year and see how that goes then decide on a GPS next week I think :P
User avatar
Samtrig13
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:56 pm
Location: South East England
Contact:

Re: What is the best gps to use ?

Post by Samtrig13 »

I do highly recommend OS maps premium for walking. Unfortunately, there’s not an app for Garmin but before you get a GPS it might be better to get the subscription to get a bit of a taster. :D
Samtrig13
Post Reply