Hello,
I recently discovered the so called trigpoint ‘Great Glen Project’. Does anyone know why (and where they are) these exist and what separates them from standard Trigpoints (some photos and comparisons would be nice too!)
Cheers
Here’s a bit more information, but it’s not exhaustive. I only include it to add a bit more substance to the subject. The Great Glen Project was a study of the crustal movement along the Great Glen Fault. This is where two crustal plates meet, with one plate slowly sliding north, while the other slides south. The area experiences numerous earthquakes each year, but as they are small and frequent, they are seldom felt. The Kessock Bridge, which spans the north end of the fault, was designed to cope with these tremors. The project, designed to measure this movement, ran from 1972 Jun 12 - 1979 Jul 03, and was conducted, I believe, by Leeds University. Fifteen pillars were planned, but only fourteen seem to have been built. Only one appears on the OS maps, it being Pillar J, situated about 1.5k south of Fort Augustus. The location of the others are shown on Trigpointing UK. Interestingly, there are only 5 completers of the 14 pillars, with some other baggers coming close to completion.
Thanks for the more detailed reply. I wouldn’t have thought it was made by Leeds University, the site and Leeds are a distance apart. Thanks for taking the time to reply this.
Last edited by Samtrig13 on Wed Jun 12, 2024 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It’s alright. You can answer to these, it’s just I needed a bit more detail for this subject. I don’t mean anything offensive, if I was a bit that was my own fault and I shouldn’t have done it, I do apologise and have removed any thing possibly harmful.