Page 1 of 2

What’s the Great Glen Project?

Posted: Mon May 27, 2024 7:07 pm
by Samtrig13
Hello,
I recently discovered the so called trigpoint ‘Great Glen Project’. Does anyone know why (and where they are) these exist and what separates them from standard Trigpoints :?: (some photos and comparisons would be nice too!)
Cheers :D

Re: What’s the Great Glen Project?

Posted: Mon May 27, 2024 8:33 pm
by MAC.HAWK

Re: What’s the Great Glen Project?

Posted: Tue May 28, 2024 9:22 am
by Samtrig13
Thanks for the link, but does anyone know when these were made?

Re: What’s the Great Glen Project?

Posted: Tue May 28, 2024 9:23 am
by Samtrig13
Also, why they don’t appear on OS maps but have flush brackets?

Re: What’s the Great Glen Project?

Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:44 pm
by BigJ
Here’s a bit more information, but it’s not exhaustive. I only include it to add a bit more substance to the subject. The Great Glen Project was a study of the crustal movement along the Great Glen Fault. This is where two crustal plates meet, with one plate slowly sliding north, while the other slides south. The area experiences numerous earthquakes each year, but as they are small and frequent, they are seldom felt. The Kessock Bridge, which spans the north end of the fault, was designed to cope with these tremors. The project, designed to measure this movement, ran from 1972 Jun 12 - 1979 Jul 03, and was conducted, I believe, by Leeds University. Fifteen pillars were planned, but only fourteen seem to have been built. Only one appears on the OS maps, it being Pillar J, situated about 1.5k south of Fort Augustus. The location of the others are shown on Trigpointing UK. Interestingly, there are only 5 completers of the 14 pillars, with some other baggers coming close to completion.

Re: What’s the Great Glen Project?

Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 5:52 pm
by Samtrig13
Thanks for the more detailed reply. I wouldn’t have thought it was made by Leeds University, the site and Leeds are a distance apart. Thanks for taking the time to reply this.

Re: What’s the Great Glen Project?

Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 10:03 am
by BigJ
Glad I could help.

Re: What’s the Great Glen Project?

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:18 pm
by MAC.HAWK
Ah well, perhaps I shouldn't bother next time?

Re: What’s the Great Glen Project?

Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2024 8:11 am
by Samtrig13
It’s alright. You can answer to these, it’s just I needed a bit more detail for this subject. I don’t mean anything offensive, if I was a bit that was my own fault and I shouldn’t have done it, I do apologise and have removed any thing possibly harmful.

Re: What’s the Great Glen Project?

Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 7:54 pm
by MAC.HAWK
Here's a link to a webpage you might find useful

https://www.geolsoc.org.uk/Policy-and-M ... Glen-Fault

the podcast is worth a listen and for a more 'techie' explanation of the fault

http://www.emgs.org.uk/Mercian/Mercian% ... 0Allen.pdf