Questionable names

General discussion about trigpoints, the TrigpointingUK website etc
Post Reply
Moacky
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:10 pm

Questionable names

Post by Moacky »

I’ve just come across this list (whilst looking for something else!) and feel I have to nominate TP5324 Pasturehouse Farm for inclusion.

https://wiki.trigpointing.uk/Questionable_Names

This is my log from my third visit on 7/3/26

Third visit and I still don’t know why this is called Pasturehouse Farm, which is 1.75 miles away (WNW) and 930ft lower down. I still think of it as Fiends Fell. Up from Hartside to put some time in whilst waiting for my driver to arrive. Cold but glorious.

Others have remarked in their logs as well on the name, especially Walker Dan, who said ‘there’s no pasture, no house and no farm up here.’ Fiends Fell is the more obvious choice, which sits at 2,080ft, (634metres)

I rest my case.
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpeg
FullSizeRender.jpeg (2.48 MiB) Viewed 6074 times
Pre flag days!
Pre flag days!
IMG_4674.jpeg (13.81 KiB) Viewed 6074 times
ted1
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2025 10:33 am

Re: Questionable names

Post by ted1 »

I've added Pasturehouse Farm to the Questionable Names wiki page.

OS applied a mysterious logic when naming trig pillars.
Little Whernside is my favourite - its a completely different hill!

Also noticed that some of the links on the wiki page are broken - possibly
a side-effect of the upgrade? I'll repair these.
Post Reply