Details at https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2018/ ... ion-circle
Blencathra (Saddleback) Concrete Ring has gone
Blencathra (Saddleback) Concrete Ring has gone
It seems that the Concrete Ring on Blencathra http://trigpointing.uk/trig/7306 has gone
Details at https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2018/ ... ion-circle

Details at https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2018/ ... ion-circle
-
alansmeaton
- Posts: 34
- Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:05 pm
Re: Blencathra (Saddleback) Concrete Ring has gone
We have ancient cairn destroyers and now this. I go, amongst other reasons, to the hills and countryside to get away from vandalism - really annoyed/angry about this. I was looking forward to revisiting Blencathra in October and bagging this ring. won't bother now - just have to content myself grubbing in the undergrowth for the Loweswater surface block. (Would have done this anyway). It's probably been thrown down the mountain but I might glance into the occasional garden nxt time I'm in the ponds.
-
stripybadger
- Posts: 16
- Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:45 pm
Re: Blencathra (Saddleback) Concrete Ring has gone
How heavy are these concrete rings? From recent photos it looks like a fair sized lump of concrete. Is it really realistic that someone has dug it up and taken it?
Re: Blencathra (Saddleback) Concrete Ring has gone
Vandalism rather theft I suspect; the concrete ring might be difficult to carry but easy to roll down a steep slopeIs it really realistic that someone has dug it up and taken it?
Re: Blencathra (Saddleback) Concrete Ring has gone
Why on earth would somebody (or bodies?) make the effort to climb the mountain, take tools to dig the thing up only to chuck it down the mountain?
This has been theft and is in someone's collection somewhere...................... in a garden, shed, garage etc.
This has been theft and is in someone's collection somewhere...................... in a garden, shed, garage etc.
Re: Blencathra (Saddleback) Concrete Ring has gone
Update:
https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2018/ ... rig-circle
Not sure what a replica will achieve here
https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2018/ ... rig-circle
Not sure what a replica will achieve here
- agentmancuso
- Posts: 338
- Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:59 pm
- Location: EK
- Contact:
Re: Blencathra (Saddleback) Concrete Ring has gone
It seems a bit odd to me too.ted wrote: Not sure what a replica will achieve here
Re: Blencathra (Saddleback) Concrete Ring has gone
I'm happy to count this as a 'bag' next time I visit Blencathra. Maybe I'll find the original on the way up...