Blencathra (Saddleback) Concrete Ring has gone

General discussion about trigpoints, the TrigpointingUK website etc
Post Reply
ted
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:39 am

Blencathra (Saddleback) Concrete Ring has gone

Post by ted »

It seems that the Concrete Ring on Blencathra http://trigpointing.uk/trig/7306 has gone

Details at https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2018/ ... ion-circle


:(
alansmeaton
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:05 pm

Re: Blencathra (Saddleback) Concrete Ring has gone

Post by alansmeaton »

We have ancient cairn destroyers and now this. I go, amongst other reasons, to the hills and countryside to get away from vandalism - really annoyed/angry about this. I was looking forward to revisiting Blencathra in October and bagging this ring. won't bother now - just have to content myself grubbing in the undergrowth for the Loweswater surface block. (Would have done this anyway). It's probably been thrown down the mountain but I might glance into the occasional garden nxt time I'm in the ponds.
stripybadger
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: Blencathra (Saddleback) Concrete Ring has gone

Post by stripybadger »

How heavy are these concrete rings? From recent photos it looks like a fair sized lump of concrete. Is it really realistic that someone has dug it up and taken it?
ted
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:39 am

Re: Blencathra (Saddleback) Concrete Ring has gone

Post by ted »

Is it really realistic that someone has dug it up and taken it?
Vandalism rather theft I suspect; the concrete ring might be difficult to carry but easy to roll down a steep slope
MAC.HAWK
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:11 pm

Re: Blencathra (Saddleback) Concrete Ring has gone

Post by MAC.HAWK »

Why on earth would somebody (or bodies?) make the effort to climb the mountain, take tools to dig the thing up only to chuck it down the mountain?

This has been theft and is in someone's collection somewhere...................... in a garden, shed, garage etc.
ted
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:39 am

Re: Blencathra (Saddleback) Concrete Ring has gone

Post by ted »

Update:

https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2018/ ... rig-circle

Not sure what a replica will achieve here
User avatar
agentmancuso
Posts: 338
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:59 pm
Location: EK
Contact:

Re: Blencathra (Saddleback) Concrete Ring has gone

Post by agentmancuso »

ted wrote: Not sure what a replica will achieve here
It seems a bit odd to me too.
Cootking
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:33 pm

Re: Blencathra (Saddleback) Concrete Ring has gone

Post by Cootking »

I'm happy to count this as a 'bag' next time I visit Blencathra. Maybe I'll find the original on the way up...
Post Reply