Hello,
I was just looking up trigpoints to maybe do on the web when I found this and wondered ‘Why is the base so high?’. Does anyone know the location of this trig and why. A reply would be greatly appreciated.
Here’s the image:
PS: Sorry about the bad quality. Won’t let me go above 250kb!
Trigpoint photo - Where is this?
Trigpoint photo - Where is this?
Samtrig13
Re: Trigpoint photo - Where is this?
Looks like Cow Close Fell to me as it appears Pen-y-ghent is in the background (we're in the Yorkshire Dales area here - find Horton in Ribblesdale and PyG is a couple of miles east-ish and Cow Close Fell is across the next valley, ENE).
See https://trigpointing.uk/trig/2465
I think the base is 'so high' simply due to erosion, I've visited this pillar (admittedly some time ago) and the surrounding area is very badly eroded in places, something you can clearly see in some of the photo's that have been posted - no foul pay, just simple weathering.
See https://trigpointing.uk/trig/2465
I think the base is 'so high' simply due to erosion, I've visited this pillar (admittedly some time ago) and the surrounding area is very badly eroded in places, something you can clearly see in some of the photo's that have been posted - no foul pay, just simple weathering.
Re: Trigpoint photo - Where is this?
Thanks for the reply. Now I know!
By the way, while I’m here, does anyone know why Selsey trigpoint is sinking?
By the way, while I’m here, does anyone know why Selsey trigpoint is sinking?
Samtrig13
Re: Trigpoint photo - Where is this?
An extreme example of erosion is Fell Top on the Bowland Fells (toppled, apparently by OS for Health and Safety reasons, in 2010).
Photos at http://www.trigpointinguk.com/trig/3135
Photos at http://www.trigpointinguk.com/trig/3135
Re: Trigpoint photo - Where is this?
I also found this. I believe that it is on top of Loughrigg and the person is Eileen Jones. Why do vandals need to do this? 
- Attachments
-
- IMG_0244.jpeg (83.23 KiB) Viewed 35930 times
Samtrig13
Re: Trigpoint photo - Where is this?
> I also found this. I believe that it is on top of Loughrigg and the person is Eileen Jones. Why do vandals need to do this?
Yes, the trig is on Loughrigg Fell. Toppled early 2023 and restored a few months later. I visited last year and it was OK.
Photos, etc at https://trigpointing.uk/trig/4549
Yes, the trig is on Loughrigg Fell. Toppled early 2023 and restored a few months later. I visited last year and it was OK.
Photos, etc at https://trigpointing.uk/trig/4549
Re: Trigpoint photo - Where is this?
Good to know it’s ok… I think Brick Kiln Farm could be destroyed in a few years too. The A27 upgrades seem to be going through but we have to hope for the best really. Here’s the page: https://trigpointing.uk/trig/1620
Samtrig13