Trigpoint photo - Where is this?

General discussion about trigpoints, the TrigpointingUK website etc
Post Reply
User avatar
Samtrig13
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:56 pm
Location: South East England
Contact:

Trigpoint photo - Where is this?

Post by Samtrig13 »

Hello,
I was just looking up trigpoints to maybe do on the web when I found this and wondered ‘Why is the base so high?’. Does anyone know the location of this trig and why. A reply would be greatly appreciated.
Here’s the image:
imresizer-1716220338067.jpg
imresizer-1716220338067.jpg (19.15 KiB) Viewed 35958 times
PS: Sorry about the bad quality. Won’t let me go above 250kb!
Samtrig13
MAC.HAWK
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:11 pm

Re: Trigpoint photo - Where is this?

Post by MAC.HAWK »

Looks like Cow Close Fell to me as it appears Pen-y-ghent is in the background (we're in the Yorkshire Dales area here - find Horton in Ribblesdale and PyG is a couple of miles east-ish and Cow Close Fell is across the next valley, ENE).

See https://trigpointing.uk/trig/2465

I think the base is 'so high' simply due to erosion, I've visited this pillar (admittedly some time ago) and the surrounding area is very badly eroded in places, something you can clearly see in some of the photo's that have been posted - no foul pay, just simple weathering.
User avatar
Samtrig13
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:56 pm
Location: South East England
Contact:

Re: Trigpoint photo - Where is this?

Post by Samtrig13 »

Thanks for the reply. Now I know! :D
By the way, while I’m here, does anyone know why Selsey trigpoint is sinking?
Samtrig13
ted
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:39 am

Re: Trigpoint photo - Where is this?

Post by ted »

An extreme example of erosion is Fell Top on the Bowland Fells (toppled, apparently by OS for Health and Safety reasons, in 2010).

Photos at http://www.trigpointinguk.com/trig/3135
User avatar
Samtrig13
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:56 pm
Location: South East England
Contact:

Re: Trigpoint photo - Where is this?

Post by Samtrig13 »

Oh wow! Hope Selsey doesn’t end up like this :lol:
Samtrig13
User avatar
Samtrig13
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:56 pm
Location: South East England
Contact:

Re: Trigpoint photo - Where is this?

Post by Samtrig13 »

I also found this. I believe that it is on top of Loughrigg and the person is Eileen Jones. Why do vandals need to do this? :cry:
Attachments
IMG_0244.jpeg
IMG_0244.jpeg (83.23 KiB) Viewed 35933 times
Samtrig13
ted
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:39 am

Re: Trigpoint photo - Where is this?

Post by ted »

> I also found this. I believe that it is on top of Loughrigg and the person is Eileen Jones. Why do vandals need to do this?

Yes, the trig is on Loughrigg Fell. Toppled early 2023 and restored a few months later. I visited last year and it was OK.

Photos, etc at https://trigpointing.uk/trig/4549
User avatar
Samtrig13
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:56 pm
Location: South East England
Contact:

Re: Trigpoint photo - Where is this?

Post by Samtrig13 »

Good to know it’s ok… I think Brick Kiln Farm could be destroyed in a few years too. The A27 upgrades seem to be going through but we have to hope for the best really. Here’s the page: https://trigpointing.uk/trig/1620
Samtrig13
Post Reply