Server migration / website re-write

General discussion about trigpoints, the TrigpointingUK website etc
stripytrigger
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed May 27, 2020 11:36 am

Re: Server migration / website re-write

Post by stripytrigger »

Teasel wrote: Mon Dec 08, 2025 1:32 pm also had a first stab at a download feature.
Thanks for the quick response, works great for me. Formats seem pretty reasonable to me for most modern tools.

One slight quirk I noticed is that the `condition` field contains a single letter (at least for csv and geojson downloads). I'm assuming this is an internal code representing each condition, which is fine, except that it's not obvious where I find the details of what each code means. I don't use that field so it doesn't matter to me, but figured I'd report the observation anyway.
User avatar
Teasel
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 10:11 am
Location: Needingworth
Contact:

Re: Server migration / website re-write

Post by Teasel »

The condition codes are listed here: https://wiki.trigpointing.uk/Condition. There's a degree of inconsistency at the moment, what with adding a new map, and replacing the old site's smileys with the coloured squares from the Bench Mark Database, but I'm working on getting everything aligned.
Would you prefer the files contain full text strings, rather than codes? Or just better documentation?
Moira293
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2025 8:35 pm

Re: Server migration / website re-write

Post by Moira293 »

Well done Ian for all your efforts on the upgrade.

I’m still trying to get my head round the new layout but the main thing I’m missing is the list of trigs I’ve bagged which you could click on to get details of the logs. Just that I’m finding it rather clunky scrolling through hundreds of logs to remind myself when I bagged a particular trig 😆

I also loved the feature where you could see how many trigs you’ve bagged in a year / month / time of day etc as I’m a total trig geek 🤓

Appreciate the site is still a work in progress but just thought I’d chip in with my feedback, thanks.
BasilDowl
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:22 pm

Re: Server migration / website re-write

Post by BasilDowl »

Just wondering if I'm not using the map correctly... when looking at it with 'my logs' I'd really like to select the 'not logged by you' toggle to view the pillars yet to bag... but that toggle simply includes the ones I *have* logged, not the ones I *haven't*. I can't figure out a way round, just seeing if that's me or a bug TBC?

EDIT - Ignore this - I have figured it out. It's me.
AlfaHazy
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2025 12:25 pm

Re: Server migration / website re-write

Post by AlfaHazy »

can you make it easier to log trigs and and photos its a pain in the backside now
ted1
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2025 10:33 am

Re: Server migration / website re-write

Post by ted1 »

> can you make it easier to log trigs and photos

Having been a T:UK user for (erm...) a long time I found the change a bit confusing
to begin with but I think I've got the hang of it now. So hopefully, its mostly a case
of persisting and the new interface should gradually become familiar to you.
User avatar
Teasel
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 10:11 am
Location: Needingworth
Contact:

Re: Server migration / website re-write

Post by Teasel »

Photo uploads are definitely too clumsy right now.

But, photos aside, I'm not sure how I could make it any easier to log trigs. What did you have in mind?
spidym
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:32 am

Re: Server migration / website re-write

Post by spidym »

Ian,

Great work here! Love the new site! Getting to grips with it and most things are great! A couple of things. Is there anyway you can have the OS Grid reference under a trigpoint name hyper linked to Streetmap.co.uk? (Like the old site was set to) Love this website and map. Also when you open a trigpage everything looks great but the map itself cant be moved around its just stuck in that position with Trig centred. Last thing was when you select OS paper from the main map screen no matter where you are, It opens at map centre by default. Is there a way to set it to open say for example North of Scotland so I can easily find trigs nearby? I know you can change map centre but if I look at another trig point it defaults back to map centre again.

Once again great job!

Cheers
Mike
User avatar
Teasel
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 10:11 am
Location: Needingworth
Contact:

Re: Server migration / website re-write

Post by Teasel »

spidym wrote: Mon Dec 29, 2025 8:31 pm Is there anyway you can have the OS Grid reference under a trigpoint name hyper linked to Streetmap.co.uk? (Like the old site was set to) Love this website and map.
On the ToDo list!
spidym wrote: Mon Dec 29, 2025 8:31 pm Also when you open a trigpage everything looks great but the map itself cant be moved around its just stuck in that position with Trig centred.
Ahh, that was deliberate! When trying to scroll the page on a mobile phone screen, I kept accidentally scrolling the map instead, so I made the map fixed. Maybe a compromise could be to only disable scrolling on small screens? Or make it a user preference? Or maybe a lock icon which can be toggled to unstick the map. I'll have a think...
spidym wrote: Mon Dec 29, 2025 8:31 pm Last thing was when you select OS paper from the main map screen no matter where you are, It opens at map centre by default.
Thought I'd fixed that bug. Clearly not! The issue here is that the OS paper map tiles are only available in OSGB projection, whereas all the other tilesets use WGS. The online map software I use can't dynamically switch between projections, so the map needs to be reloaded whenever OS Paper is selected / deselected. Looks like the current centre of the map isn't getting persisted across those reloads. I'll have another go at getting it to work...
spidym
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:32 am

Re: Server migration / website re-write

Post by spidym »

[/quote]
Thought I'd fixed that bug. Clearly not! The issue here is that the OS paper map tiles are only available in OSGB projection, whereas all the other tilesets use WGS. The online map software I use can't dynamically switch between projections, so the map needs to be reloaded whenever OS Paper is selected / deselected. Looks like the current centre of the map isn't getting persisted across those reloads. I'll have another go at getting it to work...
[/quote]

Ahh I see what you mean! To Be honest Its a very minor issue and the rest of the site works great! Also glad to hear streetmap.co.uk is on the todo list.
Thanks for getting back to me and happy new year!
Post Reply