Hi this my first post on here.A few years ago I built a pillar in my garden.
Viewing welcome east401219north154238,do you think it's worthy of listing
with robs pillar.
Thanks Nekyram
Garden pillar
Garden pillar
- Attachments
-
- image.jpeg (149.53 KiB) Viewed 15995 times
-
- image.jpeg (186.93 KiB) Viewed 15995 times
-
- image.jpeg (227.79 KiB) Viewed 15995 times
Last edited by nekyram on Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Garden pillar
Hi,
> A few years ago I built a pillar in my garden.
> Viewing welcome east401219north154238,
> do you think it's worthy of listing with robs pillar.
I'm not sure where we draw the line on including trig 'ephemera'
that were never used for surveying.
In the case of Rob's Pillar http://trigpointing.uk/trig/12707
the spider and plug appear to be genuine (or else a very good copy).
Likewise in the case of Newcastle University's pillar
http://trigpointing.uk/trig/7365 the Flush Bracket
came from the OS so theres a tenuous link.
Counter examples might include the trig-like pillar that marks one
end of the Transpennine Trail in Hornsea. This was previously added
to the TrigpointingUK database but subsequently deleted as it has
no OS relevance.
Likewise, many non-OS survey pillars used in reservoir construction are
not added although they might merit the inclusion of a photo when recording
a visit to a nearby real trig. Similarly with non-survey pillars such as
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/590806
So its a grey area but maybe evidence of an OS connection or the inclusion
of some part of genuine trig metalwork is one criteria
Regards
Ted
> A few years ago I built a pillar in my garden.
> Viewing welcome east401219north154238,
> do you think it's worthy of listing with robs pillar.
I'm not sure where we draw the line on including trig 'ephemera'
that were never used for surveying.
In the case of Rob's Pillar http://trigpointing.uk/trig/12707
the spider and plug appear to be genuine (or else a very good copy).
Likewise in the case of Newcastle University's pillar
http://trigpointing.uk/trig/7365 the Flush Bracket
came from the OS so theres a tenuous link.
Counter examples might include the trig-like pillar that marks one
end of the Transpennine Trail in Hornsea. This was previously added
to the TrigpointingUK database but subsequently deleted as it has
no OS relevance.
Likewise, many non-OS survey pillars used in reservoir construction are
not added although they might merit the inclusion of a photo when recording
a visit to a nearby real trig. Similarly with non-survey pillars such as
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/590806
So its a grey area but maybe evidence of an OS connection or the inclusion
of some part of genuine trig metalwork is one criteria
Regards
Ted
Re: Garden pillar
Thanks Ted for that information
Ken
Ken
Re: Garden pillar
If Rob's Pillar gets in I'm not sure why this one shouldn't. If the argument is that they have to have been used for OS surveying purposes then Rob's should be removed unless there's confirmation that the spider or flush bracket were original OS features, in which case it would be useful to know where both or either are originally from.
However, as a sheer bit of fun, and as both are welcoming visitor viewings, I'm of the opinion why not..................... I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to have a trig pillar (not an original unless it was going to be destroyed) in my garden ......... come to think of it, my wife bought/installed me a waymarker post in the garden for my birthday, now Christmas 2016.......................hmmmmmmmm
However, as a sheer bit of fun, and as both are welcoming visitor viewings, I'm of the opinion why not..................... I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to have a trig pillar (not an original unless it was going to be destroyed) in my garden ......... come to think of it, my wife bought/installed me a waymarker post in the garden for my birthday, now Christmas 2016.......................hmmmmmmmm
Re: Garden pillar
Mac.Hawk
Thanks for your comments
Ken
Thanks for your comments
Ken
-
peregrinus
- Posts: 86
- Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:33 pm
Re: Garden pillar
Welcome to the forum! From the photos I've seen on the facebook trig group, it's a fine imitation of a Hotine pillar and I think it would be OK to add. Of course if everyone starting self-building pillars we might have to be more exclusive...nekyram wrote:Hi this my first post on here.A few years ago I built a pillar in my garden.
Viewing welcome east401219north154238,do you think it's worthy of listing
with robs pillar.
Thanks Nekyram
Interested to see what others think
Re: Garden pillar
You mean like this? https://www.flickr.com/photos/79063372@ ... 4593542639if everyone starting self-building pillars we might have to be more exclusive...
-
peregrinus
- Posts: 86
- Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:33 pm
Re: Garden pillar
Ha ha good point. That one seems more like a Ye Olde Survey Monument which moves around the country
Re: Garden pillar
Ah, fantastic - I've been up lots of hills when I've thought 'why isn't there a pillar up here' - I'm waiting for Mountain Warehouse to sell a 'pop-up' one!