Garden pillar

General discussion about trigpoints, the TrigpointingUK website etc
Post Reply
nekyram
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:12 pm

Garden pillar

Post by nekyram »

Hi this my first post on here.A few years ago I built a pillar in my garden.
Viewing welcome east401219north154238,do you think it's worthy of listing
with robs pillar.
Thanks Nekyram
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (149.53 KiB) Viewed 15997 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (186.93 KiB) Viewed 15997 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (227.79 KiB) Viewed 15997 times
Last edited by nekyram on Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
ted
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:39 am

Re: Garden pillar

Post by ted »

Hi,

> A few years ago I built a pillar in my garden.

> Viewing welcome east401219north154238,
> do you think it's worthy of listing with robs pillar.

I'm not sure where we draw the line on including trig 'ephemera'
that were never used for surveying.

In the case of Rob's Pillar http://trigpointing.uk/trig/12707
the spider and plug appear to be genuine (or else a very good copy).

Likewise in the case of Newcastle University's pillar
http://trigpointing.uk/trig/7365 the Flush Bracket
came from the OS so theres a tenuous link.

Counter examples might include the trig-like pillar that marks one
end of the Transpennine Trail in Hornsea. This was previously added
to the TrigpointingUK database but subsequently deleted as it has
no OS relevance.

Likewise, many non-OS survey pillars used in reservoir construction are
not added although they might merit the inclusion of a photo when recording
a visit to a nearby real trig. Similarly with non-survey pillars such as
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/590806

So its a grey area but maybe evidence of an OS connection or the inclusion
of some part of genuine trig metalwork is one criteria


Regards
Ted
nekyram
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:12 pm

Re: Garden pillar

Post by nekyram »

Thanks Ted for that information
Ken
MAC.HAWK
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:11 pm

Re: Garden pillar

Post by MAC.HAWK »

If Rob's Pillar gets in I'm not sure why this one shouldn't. If the argument is that they have to have been used for OS surveying purposes then Rob's should be removed unless there's confirmation that the spider or flush bracket were original OS features, in which case it would be useful to know where both or either are originally from.

However, as a sheer bit of fun, and as both are welcoming visitor viewings, I'm of the opinion why not..................... I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to have a trig pillar (not an original unless it was going to be destroyed) in my garden ......... come to think of it, my wife bought/installed me a waymarker post in the garden for my birthday, now Christmas 2016.......................hmmmmmmmm
nekyram
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:12 pm

Re: Garden pillar

Post by nekyram »

Mac.Hawk
Thanks for your comments
Ken
peregrinus
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:33 pm

Re: Garden pillar

Post by peregrinus »

nekyram wrote:Hi this my first post on here.A few years ago I built a pillar in my garden.
Viewing welcome east401219north154238,do you think it's worthy of listing
with robs pillar.
Thanks Nekyram
Welcome to the forum! From the photos I've seen on the facebook trig group, it's a fine imitation of a Hotine pillar and I think it would be OK to add. Of course if everyone starting self-building pillars we might have to be more exclusive...

Interested to see what others think
ted
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:39 am

Re: Garden pillar

Post by ted »

if everyone starting self-building pillars we might have to be more exclusive...
You mean like this? https://www.flickr.com/photos/79063372@ ... 4593542639

:D
peregrinus
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:33 pm

Re: Garden pillar

Post by peregrinus »

Ha ha good point. That one seems more like a Ye Olde Survey Monument which moves around the country
MAC.HAWK
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:11 pm

Re: Garden pillar

Post by MAC.HAWK »

Ah, fantastic - I've been up lots of hills when I've thought 'why isn't there a pillar up here' - I'm waiting for Mountain Warehouse to sell a 'pop-up' one!
Post Reply